Books
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    lain.the-wired.com Forum Index -> Generale Discussington
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silverhand
Baby Daddy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Books Reply with quote

I figured a good thread for discussing such things would be good, though I know that not everyone partakes in such entertainment. My thoughts on my recent reads.

Birds of Prey - Very good, Thank you Mark.

The Dark Tower B1 - 100 some pages in, right now way to confused to fully understand. May have to start over and try again.

Rant (Chuck's Latest) - Classic Chuck style. More sci fi than his usual style but enjoyable non the less.

Sacrifice (Legacy of the Force book 5) - Though I have been very upset by the way that this series has been going, I will continue to read it to see if it can redeem itself by the end. Though I am put off by the Darth Who contest, where they let the fans choose Jacen Solo's Darth name. It gets revealed in this book. Sadly I peeked, It makes no sense. If anyone wants to know I'll PM them the name, to save the spoiler if anyone but me will actually read it.

Reading - Craft Sequence by Max Gladstone

Watching - Green Arrow, The Flash, Agents of Shield

Still Waiting for - Winds of Winter, The Doors of Stone

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain. It's time to toss the dice.
Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, reread the first hundred pages of The Gunslinger. They're about as straightforward as the series gets.

I got my bike permit yesterday, so I stopped by the used book store and grabbed Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintainence. I might start it once I finish one of my current books.

Current and recently finished books:

Mort -- Pratchett's usual goodness. Ending felt quasi-phoned-in, but since he's more about satire and wordplay than straight plot it didn't bother me too much.

Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower -- Almost done, and it's picked up enough at the end to make the drag through book six worth it.

Survivor -- Chuck has definite talent as a writer, but I have some trouble caring about the main character. I'll finish the book, but I feel like I'm reading as an observer and not someone who has an investment in the action. It's damn good postmodernism, but postmodernism isn't really my thing.

I really have to find out how to get spoiler tags/code in here. Would be super-handy for stuff like this.
Silverhand
Baby Daddy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, finished Sacrifice. I was full of mixed emotions about this one. One point is the author has a hard on for Boba Fett and all things Mandalorian. At this point in the Canon, Boba is 80ish and still as deadly as he was in his 20s. Kind of interesting to learn the signifigance behind the culture and the armor, but way too much focus on Fett and making him a major part of the meta plot when really, he shouldn't be. She dealt with how a sith would operate better than some of the previous novels. I'm going to be a sith now, so i'm going to act like an asshat. He was just kind of oily and more of a on the wrong side of morallity type. Though I'm not sure if the Sacrifice he needed to perform for full sith mastery was what I would have agreed with, it became painfully obvious who was dying about 150 pages in. If I wasn't such a big fan of the timeline, I would have probably dropped the series by now, but I kinda need to find out what happens.

I still think it would have been better if Jacen had died back in NJO and Anakin would have slowly fallen to the Dark Side giving into his namesake and following in his footsteps.

Gunslinger made more sense as I read on, pretty good, I'm enjoying the twisted version of modern times and old west, semi post apocalyptic(spelling?) Hopefully I'll get into DTII soon.

Harry Potter is 30 days away.

Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found DT2 and 3 for you. I must be sure to read HP7 when it comes out before using the internet in any way, because it will be the most spoiled thing ever.
Jacob
HATES FIREWORKS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same freaking here =/
Bulkoth
Whitest Forumer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Potter is Gandalf!!!! OOMG spoilers.
Vin Sanity
Mad Mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silverhand
Baby Daddy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok the further and further I read in Dark Tower, I keep just anticipating Roland to just sacrifice all his companions for the tower, every promise he makes to protect them is tainted by his vision of watching jake fall.

Silverhand
Baby Daddy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok done with DT5. I think this plot ending is what you guys were talking about when I talked about finding it odd that Steven King was tooting his own horn with his "The Shining" reference. To be honest, I would be pissed if I had not read the forwords and afterwords in the previous books. In then he had said that to him The Dark Tower was the main focus for all his writing. That every novel he wrote was a different lvl of the tower; each unique, but tied to the same point. With this way of thinking, it kind of makes sense.

Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying so hard to like A Game of Thrones, but it's difficult so far. The symbolism is so damned heavy handed, right from the word go (Oh look, dire wolf puppies to match the six children of the family that's represented by a dire wolf! And one extra albino puppy to match the seventh bastard child whose last name is SNOW! Great job. What's that you say, the mother wolf was dead with a broken antler jammed in her neck? Well then, I'll be sure to watch out for an opposing house with some sort of stag or something as a symbol. Whoopee.) Also,

Dear George R. R. Martin,

Congrats on the double middle initials. I also hope to one day generate artificial fantasy fiction cred by riding the coattails of J. R. R. Tolkien (I'm not being sarcastic. I will totally publish under M. R. A. Rauch) I see that you really like your universe, and love developing it, but when you drop about eighteen proper nouns into a paragraph, none of which I should be familiar with yet, it gets tiresome and I stop caring about it. It's hard to get into a character's emotions when you don't know anything about what the fuck he/she's thinking about / pining for / dreading. Take it easy. You have about 4000 pages of novel to introduce all of your undoubtedly wondrous exotic locations and persons. I'm not going to take notes while I read your shit.

Love,
Mark
Silverhand
Baby Daddy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I have never read any of his books, a moment of silence.

James Oliver Rigney (Robert Jordon) passed away on Sun. It is said that though his final novel is not complete, he has left a substantial amount of notes for it and that the book will be completed in his stead.

Fantasy literature will miss him as many of you surely know and I hope to find out in the future.

Bulkoth
Whitest Forumer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<-- would be pissed if he'd read more of the series.

I'm listening to Harry Potter on Audiobook which I downloaded. I'm halfway through the 2nd book, I have to say it is rather enjoyable but as for people who say the books have so much more than the movies I'd have to disagree, there really isnt a huge amount of stuff the movies leave out atleast for the first 2 books I've listened to.

I plan to find some good fantasy or scifi after these ones, perhaps the actual starship troopers, I've heard it's worth reading. Any other suggestions?

Silverhand
Baby Daddy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of the subltle things and character interaction is left out to save time and sure up the plot. The bisic meat of the story is there which is probably what your referring to. Once you hit book 4 there will be a ton left out, like 3 Weasely family members and Ludo Bagman.

Bulkoth
Whitest Forumer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the first 2 movies just stayed much closer to source than future ones. I'll find out when I get there.
Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should have been easy for them to do so, as the first few books are about 1/4 the length of the last few.

And yes, you should certainly read (or listen to an unabridged version of) Starship Troopers. One of my favorite sci-fi novels ever...perhaps my most favorite. Absolutely brilliant.

Also, Robert Jordan, you will be missed. Bravo for all of your excellent works. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    lain.the-wired.com Forum Index -> Generale Discussington All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: