New Skills and Classes
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    lain.the-wired.com Forum Index -> Ciel Infini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: New Skills and Classes Reply with quote

I hate trying to write long posts when I'm half asleep.

Since it looks like we won't be playing for quite a while, I'm going to try to get some work done on some of the new stuff, and hopefully expand the Travellers' Guide quite a bit (heh...maybe).

Here's a breakdown of the updated skills and classes:

Pilot skills:

Strike
Used as a direct bonus when firing on an enemy in airplane combat.

Evade
Used to dodge strikes, and for any reflexive evasion.

Dogtail
Used to tail an enemy in a duel, and set up for a strike. Provides a damage bonus if used before attacking.

Breakaway
Used to remove a tailing enemy in air combat.

Precise Manuvers
Provides a direct bonus to most general piloting manuvers, and more advanced manuvers that require precision and control.

Impressive Manuvers
Provides a direct bonus to aerobatic stunts. Can also be used in combat to restore other pilots' daring.

Airplane Repair (formerly the Engineer skill Airplane Systems)
A direct bonus to repair rolls on a damaged small aircraft.

Airman skills: (replaces Engineer as occupation name)

Airship Piloting
Provides a direct bonus to Weathergage, and is added to Airship Manuvers to calculate maximum Weathergage. Also used to change distance between airships in combat.

Airship Manuvers
Added to Airship Piloting to calculate maximum Weathergage. Also used to change heading and position relative to enemy ships in combat.

Airship Tactics
Provides a floating bonus that can be applied to Airship Piloting, Airship Manuvers, Cannon Strike, or Damage Control. Requires an action to activate or change.

Cannon Strike
A direct bonus to attacks with cannons in combat.

Damage Control
A roll to reduce damage taken in combat. When rolled versus the opposing airship's cannon strike, a successful Damage Control roll reduces damage taken by 50%.

Airship Systems
Used for repair and maintainence of airships.

New Classes:

Pilot:

Duelist - The swordsman of the air, always prepared to test him or herself with lead or chalk. Discounts to Strike and Dogtail.

Aerobat - An agile and crafty performer, extremely mobile and unpredictable in combat. Discounts to Dodge and Impressive Manuvers.

Aviator - A classically trained and autonomous pilot. The Aviator is generally not quite as aggressive or daring as the Duelist or Aerobat, instead preferring excellence in fundamental piloting and insightful dueling skills. Recieves a discount to Precise Manuvers and Breakaway.

Any Pilot class may substitute either discounted skill for Airship Repair to change their class name from * to *-Mechanic (for example, Duelist-Mechanic).

Airman (formerly Engineer):

Helmsman - Same as before...I'm way too tired to write descriptions right now... Discount to Airship Piloting and Airship Manuvers

Scourge - See above.
Discount to Cannon Strike and Airship Tactics.

Engineer (formerly gadgeteer) - Discount to Damage Control and Airship Systems.

Last edited by Marcus Brody on Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:47 am; edited 5 times in total
Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here they are. Discuss!
Dr. SexBot
Doctorb

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I am an Aviator since those are my 2 highest skills. Why not combine dodge and breakaway? Duelists could have stike and dogtail; Aerobats breakaway and agile.

Just an idea.

Last edited by Dr. SexBot on Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Silverhand
Baby Daddy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you combined Dodge and Breakaway, it would cover too much in one stat. It would give you 2 rolls, one for escaping the dogtail then one to dodge the strike. I could see Dogtail and Breakaway as one skill since a knowledge of how to Dogtail would give you some insight into the best ways to escape it. Or just to use maneuvers that have frustrated your attempts to Dogtail.

I love the Bonus to damage for a Dogtail. Taking your time to line up a shot would definately mean a more precise strike. Could you also use a Dogtail roll then in a situation where you are attacking a ground target? Sort of like setting up a line on the target for a more presise attack.

I will miss having 3 class skills, but oh well.

Reading - Craft Sequence by Max Gladstone

Watching - Green Arrow, The Flash, Agents of Shield

Still Waiting for - Winds of Winter, The Doors of Stone

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain. It's time to toss the dice.
Dr. SexBot
Doctorb

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Dodge and Breakaway are way more similar than Dogtail and Breakaway. If you have knowledge of how to throw off an enemy or break pursuit it would aid you in dodgeing. The ability to guess where people are going to dodge and be alert enough to read them and stay with them is much different from trying to throw someone off your trail. You could combine Breakaway and Dodge and call it Evasive manuevers or something because in both cases you are evading. It would make the game simpler (like you seem to want to do) and also give each class it's 2 skills without having one left over. I think it makes sense to have duelists be more about attack and aerobats be more about dodging and showing off. It's not to say you can't have a high stat in something else if you are a Duelist, only that it will cost a little more.

I can see the epic battles now between Duelists and Aerobats. A Duelist in hot persuit of an Aerobat; locked in behind but never quite able to hit them.
Silverhand
Baby Daddy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point made. I still see it as covering too much though. That would make it too all encompassing, Giving it essentially 3 former skills, Mobile and Fixed Dodge and now Breakaway. To me that makes Acrobats much more powerful. Almost too much so IMO. It would give Duelists 3 former skills, MS, FS, and DT and give Acrobats 5 skills, MD, FD, IM, EM and DTB
As it is now they have 4 skills in their new 2 skills and Duelists have 3 in the new 2 class skills, but oh well with that, such is life.
Also as a Duelist if your going to survive you really need to know how to get away from someone's Dogtail or your not going to be a good Duelist. Combining the Dogtail and Breakaway would really bring Airplane duels to a simpler level as well.
Inititive
Contested Dogtails
Strike v Dodge

Dr. SexBot
Doctorb

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. They would have more skills. Mark would just have to balance their usefullness. Giving Dogtail and Dogtail break to one skill would allow that skill to be pumped to not only provide you the ability to stay on your target well, but also break away just as easily. I think it would lead to alot of people just cranking that and nothing else. It would be like combineing strike and dodge. Who knows though. We all see where my RPG is ::looks in the garbage:: It's up to Mark.
Silverhand
Baby Daddy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A high Dogtail is still useless if you cant hit or dodge anything. I actually have not used Dogtail since I got shot down by the Tri-plane. There is no honor in fighting pirates so I just used MS. As a Duelist with the new combined skills I feel Strike, Dodge, Dogtail and Breakaway are the skills I really need to work on. I wonder if with the new classes, Mark will allow people to shift into the most appropriate class, Like you to Aviator and Miko to Scourge. Though your shift to Aviator gives us 5 Pilots and 1 Airman. Though I have heard talk of others who might want to shift over to other things.

Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Counting the number of old skills that are represented by new skills isn't really a good comparison, since many of the old skill were either useless or repetitive. However, your argument about the psychological aspects of tailing and breaking is a very good point.

I sort of think that combining Breakaway with either ends up making it a bit too powerful. The reasons to combine it with either one are valid, but I think I'm may have to leave it on its own.

Theoretical question for my pilots:

If you could simply pick two skills from the new list to recieve a discount on, which would you choose?
Dr. SexBot
Doctorb

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either I shift or my character dissapears. My class was eliminated. So I really hope mark lets me shift. Confused

The ones in Aviator. PM and AS.
Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Engineer replaces Gadgeteer, so that would be the default. I assume you'll be switching to Aviator though.
Silverhand
Baby Daddy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for ths 2 Skills for my class, I'd have to go with what you picked, Dogtail and Strike. Most important I feel. Lock on and hit. If your fast enough, you dont need to dodge or break, you just make it short and sweet.

Jacob
HATES FIREWORKS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upon reading the conversation I've changed my mind. I don't think DT and Breakaway should be combined with anything. Jeremy has a point that it would lead to min-maxing as whatever it was combined with would overpower it. It would be like getting 2 stats for just pumping 1. I thought at first it'd be cool cause fewer stats = less stuff to manage, but I think it'd turn into an exploit more than anything.

Incedently I don't know what I'd pick. Probably DT and strike since it makes sense for my class, if not my character =P, although now I do have several points in strike....hmmm...

Raptor
Sprints McGee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in thinking about this more, I'd like to see a little more of a clear line beteween dodge and agile manuvers. I'm not sure if I see a huge difference in the description right now. If you can be reflexive in one, you should be just as good at the other.

I'd like to think my concept is mostly based on agile and precise, since they make the most sense for aerobatics, but the current definition of dodge is so close to agile that I'm not sure what to think.

Silverhand
Baby Daddy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still feel that Strike and Dogtail are the Duelist class skills but part of me wonders if it should not be Dogtail and Breakaway. Would a Duelist not want to just focus on the two main aspects of the duel?

But on the other hand, Would it not be that someone who specializes in staying on an opponents tail and reading their attempts to breakaway also be able to use that sort of pilot intuition to line up a shot?

I still say Strike and DT.

As to John's point, I see Agile as doing all sorts of insane maneuevers and neat tricks. To me though, Dodge is just a skill to get your plane out of the path of bullets, its not going to be pretty its just moving out of the line of fire. An Aerobat may use a more impressive maneuver to get out of the way, but a Duelist would just move. So to me they represent two really seperate things.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    lain.the-wired.com Forum Index -> Ciel Infini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: