Bright and Shiny New Rules (now w/ Daring and Leadership)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    lain.the-wired.com Forum Index -> Ciel Infini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Bright and Shiny New Rules (now w/ Daring and Leadership) Reply with quote

Hey everyone - I came up with some new Initiative rules, and I wanted to figure out some other stuff. The new initiative stuff builds upon or modifies the existing system, so keep the old stuff in mind (it's not a whole new system, just additions).

Initiative Addendums:

The highest value shared by your speed and perception will now be referred to as your Natural Initiative.
example: if you have a speed of 4 and a perception of 3, your Natural Initiative is 3

Players all gain a second stat called Trained Initiative. This starts at 0 and can be increased at the cost of levelx200 (exp or insp). Players can only purchase an amount of Trained Initiative up to their level of Natural Initiative.

Players add Natural and Trained Initiative, and keep half rounded down.
example: A very young Eric Mass has 3 speed and 5 perception, giving him a NI of 3. He spends 200 to increase TI from 0-1, and 400 to increase TI from 1-2. This gives him a total of 5 initiative dice. He rolls 5 and keeps 2 for his initiative.

Also, twenties now keep for free, and botches cancel your highest kept die.

examples:
-Mass rolls and gets 13 15 8 4 18 and keeps 15 and 18.
-Mass rolls and gets 4 6 7 13 20 and keeps the 20 for free, as well as 13 and 7.
-Mass rolls and gets 3 17 20 11 20, keeps both 20s for free, as well as the 17 and 11.
-Mass rolls 3 15 19 4 1. The 1 cancels his highest kept (19), so he only keeps the 15.
-Mass rolls 13 1 18 1 5. Both 1s cancel kept dice, thus Mass gets no actions this turn.
-Mass rolls 3 1 20 15 12. The 1 cancels the free 20, and Mass keeps the 15 and 12.

I have something else to address, but this has been long enough. Let me know what you think.

edit: Reflex? This isn't L5R? What the hell...?

Last edited by Marcus Brody on Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dr. SexBot
Doctorb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooo Shiny!

Sounds good to me.
Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else? Your opinions on this are more important than mine, so tell me what you think.
Silverhand
Baby Daddy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds good to me as well, looks like i'm getting some new things to spend xp and insp on

Reading - Craft Sequence by Max Gladstone

Watching - Green Arrow, The Flash, Agents of Shield

Still Waiting for - Winds of Winter, The Doors of Stone

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain. It's time to toss the dice.
Raptor
Sprints McGee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds reasonable to me.
Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad everyone's cool with them.

As a followup - tell me what you'd like to see change in the Daring and Leadership system. They're not really getting used at all, so something in the rules needs patching.
Silverhand
Baby Daddy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me its really a matter of importance. I want to save my daring to spend on something really important, life and death situations. So I hold on to it until something like that arrives. As for leadership, well cant morse code moral now can we?

Bulkoth
Whitest Forumer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like the ability to use leadership more than once in a turn to really inspire someone to greatness rather than just give a + 3 or 4 which might only barely make a difference.

Also I like the initiative system, I just wish i could avoid spending points in speed and perception as its really not what miko would be improving, i hate to have to power game like that but if i dont get more initiative then im gonna be spending alot of time sitting around while others take multiple actions...

another thing i wanted to look into, If i have multiple actions as a ship commander the weathervane rules need fixed, the person who uses their action to better their position should get a bonus to the roll otherwise if fighting a really well trained airship captain there would be little to no reason to even try since theres the chance he'd just make his own position better, also will you be rolling the die for the other parts of the ship like engineering and the guns because I really like firing cannons but they should have their own initiative because going off mine would severly hinder them, perhaps allow me to in a sense "give" my actions to them if i feel im in a good enough position with the zepp.

(I dont care about the punctuation)

Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WEATHER GAGE...you're like Dr. Maturin without all the badass. Wink

Maybe you SHOULD care about punctuation, cause I have no idea what the hell you're trying to say there. In general, I welcome people having problems with my systems, because it's a chance to make the game better for you guys, but it's really unhelpful when you express this in an intentionally ineloquent and glib way. HELP ME HELP YOU, MAN!

Regarding the matter of increasing speed and perception, I call bullshit on Miko not having increased perception, since it would naturally develop from practicing gunnery. Speed I can sort of understand for Miko, but you still can't act quickly and rapildly without good reflexes, so that rule is staying.

Also, the reason you have officers like the Gunnery Chief and the Ship's Master is so they can take command of gun decks in combat and use their own actions under your command (so the ship can shoot without you using actions). I may concoct an alternate 'command initiative' system for this, probably using concentration with perception.
Bulkoth
Whitest Forumer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For being an english major you sure to suck at getting meaning out of something without punctuation. Happy? Good.

Any way my real question is what the hell am I going to do in combat besides move? Thats boring as shit if that is all I can do.

Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulkoth wrote:
For being an english major you sure to suck at getting meaning out of something without punctuation.

For being a college student you sure suck at basic use of the English language. That didn't make a damn bit of sense.

[Burn. I am the Insult Master.]

Aaaaaaaanyway...

You can do whatever you want in combat. Just because you're in charge of the zep in combat certainly doesn't mean you're necessarily at the helm. You can command from the gun deck quite easily if that's your style - just give the helmsman some basic orders and go fire some shit off.
Dr. SexBot
Doctorb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAM! eye had a kool entrie her b4 I wunder wear it went two sumarize i demonstrated my x-sellent spelin and grammar and my hat red for inglish i think teh man focus was DYE INGLISH DYE butt hoo noes suspension david cyclops bannana twins

On a more serious note: Joewhite, wasn't Miko running with us in the morning? If she continues that I would think that a speed increase could be justified. I think Mark has a good point about your perception too. I don't know. I just don't think it would be too un-natural but I guess you have the final say since Miko is your character and not mine.

And cmon! Moving is awesome, but really you should try going down to the gun decks and using your...eh hem...Weather Guage from there (At least that is what I am understanding, but who knows. I have been wrong before.) Then you can super-botch a cannon strike and shoot us all out of ths sky. Wink
Silverhand
Baby Daddy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok re reading this i have 2 questions,

1. in your example you say that "A very young Eric Mass has 3 speed and 5 reflex" should that be speed and perception?

2. when buying Ti can we use a combination of xp and ins to buy it say, 120 ins and 80 xp for rank one, or must it come out of the same pool.

Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized somthing in addition to the running thing - you're a little Japanese girl. If we've learned anything from DDR, your speed and grace should be through the roof. Wink

But actually, I think I'm gonna come up with a seperate system for command actions - probably Concentration->hsv<-Leadership (highest shared value), but there may be a prerequisite of personal actions anyway.

And yes, if your helmsman was keeping you in a good position, you could command from the gundeck and use that weather-gage bonus (since it's really the ship's bonus).

I don't know what exotic variety of crack I was smoking putting reflex there instead of speed (I did it three times?) but I must have been thinking of L5R or something. I did indeed mean perception.

To buy TI, it's either 200 of one or the other, or 150 of both.
Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally hot new Daring and Leadership rules:

New uses for Daring:

-A bonus to a d20 roll, in the same fashion as before (spending from 4-3 gives +4, spending from 2-1 gives +2, etc.). This can now be stacked by spending multiple daring (for example, spending from 4-2 gives +4 and +3, for a total of +7 to the roll).

-A point of Daring may be spent for a temporary (one round) extra natural initiative die. Multiple daring may be spent in this way at the same time.

-Any number of points of Daring may be spent to reroll damage (the highest value is kept, one reroll per spent point).

-Daring may still be spent to reroll d6s on crits and botches, as before.

New uses for Leadership:

-Leadership may be spent as before to give another player a bonus to a d20 roll (for example, player 1 spends from 4-2 leadership to give player 2 a +4 to his roll; if player 2 succeeds, p1 gets 1 leadership back and p2 gets 1 daring back). The player spending leadership may now spend additional points for an extra bonus (spending from 4-1, for example, gives +4 and +3 for a total of +7) but both players will still only get 1 daring or leadership back.

-1 point of Leadership may be spent to give another player a temporary (one round) extra die of trained initiative. Only one point per player may be spent in this way.

Regaining Daring and Leadership:

-Every natural severity multiple of 5 on a roll of 20 gives 1 (severity of 5-9 gives 1, 10-14 gives 2, etc.). This must be the rolled value - bonuses to severity from plane stats, advantages, etc, do not count toward this.

-A peaceful night's sleep (~8 hours uninterrupted).

-Using a combat action to regain your composure. This requires a successful concentration+endurance roll of difficulty 20.

-Variable other situations of the GM's discretion. For example, most successfully completed battles will give at least 1 point of either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    lain.the-wired.com Forum Index -> Ciel Infini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: