The Story so Far:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    lain.the-wired.com Forum Index -> Ciel Infini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: The Story so Far: Reply with quote

Now that we've completed the first story arc, I thought a decently verbose summary was in order:

Episode 0.1: Gilliam Grey - Mistaken Identity
Episode 0.2: Guinevive Cristol - Riverboat Gamble
Episode 0.3: Cornelius Deschain - In the Still of the Night
Episode 0.4: Miko Aaron - Technical Difficulties
Episode 0.5: Milliardo Mandrake - Queen of Hearts
Episode 0.6: Gordon Wolfram - Short Fuse

Episode 1: Follow the Evening Star
Following the instructions of their strange letters, the party assembles in the law offices of Fitzgerald and Boots, where they learn of a collective bond between their parents. They are soon boarding the IAS Evening Star bound for the New England Accademy of Aviation and Zeppelinry, a prestigious and exclusive school for pilots and airship operators. While on route to the Accademy the Star is attacked by the school's headmaster, Nicholas Crane, in a simulated airship battle. Gilliam Grey loses his plane in a desperate attempt to board Crane's ship, and Milliardo Mandrake gains instant fame for besting the overconfidant professor Eric Mass in a duel.

Epsiode 2: A Taste of Home
The students are called to the center of the island to be placed into houses - Hawk, Seagull, Cardinal, Swallow, and Raven. The party finds themselves placed into Hawk house, and are given the chance to meet the head of their house, Professor Henry Crow. Though the party is beginning to realize just how linked their fates may be, tensions begin to surface between them.

Episode 3: Dueling at Dusk

Episode 4: Old Allies

Episode 5: Pirates and Caves

Episode 6: Preparations

Episode 7: One Last Shot

Episode 8: Rivals

Episode 9: Homecoming '27

Odds are I won't get this finished in the time I have at work, but feel free to throw out any suggestions/revisions/additions that you may have. If you just want to reminisce, that's fine too.
Dr. SexBot
Doctorb

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool!
Silverhand
Baby Daddy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. my parts of story for ep 7, mainly dealing with guin's duel will be on its way shortly

Reading - Craft Sequence by Max Gladstone

Watching - Green Arrow, The Flash, Agents of Shield

Still Waiting for - Winds of Winter, The Doors of Stone

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain. It's time to toss the dice.
Dr. SexBot
Doctorb

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark! Assign me to work on my damn Ciel journal this weekend before I forget everything.
Silverhand
Baby Daddy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: What I have ATM Reply with quote

In the aftermath of the celebration on Miko’s astounding performance on the cannons, Genevieve was still feeling a bit anxious. Hawk was now out of the basement in the house standings, now only two points behind Seagull for first place. Having been able to hit some of the targets made her feel a little better, but she had not been able to earn a single point for the house and was hoping to get a chance too.

Seeing that it was only around 4 o ‘clock in the afternoon and wanting to get some more flying in yet today since it was still early. Not knowing how duels would be initiated with other houses since the dueling season had begun, she made her way over towards Gilliam to see if he wanted to duel.

“Gilliam, are you up for a friendly duel now, to try and keep our reflexes sharp, seeing as how we faired the worse of any of the other houses” she inquires towards Mr. Grey.

“Well I don’t supposed that it would hurt anything, though I don’t know how much of a challenge it would be.” he retorted.

Both of them made their way to the hanger and found Cornelius and Miko already in the hanger and were excitedly reading a piece of paper on Academy letterhead. It looks just like all the documents that any of them had received from the school in the past couple of weeks.

“What is that you have there,”she asks the two of them.

“It is the school rules for dueling other houses now that the season has started,” Miko exclaimed excitedly.

Knowing how excited she will be over getting to see the dueling rules, Neil hands over the paper to Guin as she sprints over. Grabbing a hold of the document and looking over the rules Guin sees typed up in crisp lettering.

Students may initiate piloting duels between other students from other housed in this manner during the Dueling Season. House points will be wagered on the duel to a maximum of 25 points per person per duel. Duel challenges may be issued by mailing the person you wish to challenge. They have the right to decline any duel. If they accept the terms of the duel then your Head of Houses will need to be informed and both of you will notified of the time and date of your duel. The most there can be in one duel is two people per side unless special permission is granted for larger dogfights. Honor Code rules are applicable during all duels and failure to obey them will result in a forfeit of the duel. By Mail challenges will be starting on Monday April 19th. Students may challenge others today by verbal agreement, but permission from both Heads of House must still be obtained.

“That means that I can duel someone for points tonight!” Guin says while she is trembling with excitement. “Do you guys mind if I go and take some of the points you earned for a duel?” she asks Miko.

“No go ahead and go for it, they are the houses points.”

“But try not to lose them, the third place house is only 7 points behind us, Cornelius adds in. Who were you going to go duel?”

“I don’t know, someone in Cardinal house though.”

“ Um, well, they are the ones who are in third behind us.”

“Well, says Guin, There is no way to get ahead if we don’t take risks. That and this is only the first day. I’m sure that later on in the season, 5 points will be no big deal.”

And with that she turns and walks out of the Hawk hanger to head over to Cardinal’s territory. On the way over to issue her challenge, she notices that Gilliam is standing beside a partially opened Raven hanger door talking to a student there. Not really caring what he does with his free time, she makes her way to the Cardinal hanger. The door is shut, so she knocks her knuckles against the door. The door then groans against the force applied to it and out pops a <placeholder>

“Uh, Hi. Can I help you?” he asks kindly.

“Yes you can, I was wondering if any of you wanted to accept a challenge of a 5 point duel with me?”

“ Well give me a second, Hey Max! Do you want to duel a Hawk for 5 points.”

“Which one is it?”

“Uh, who are you again?” asked the <placeholder>

“I am Genevieve Cristol.”

“It’s Cristol, the Cardinal at the door yelled back into the hanger.

“Cristol you say. Well it kinda feels like stealing the points but, alright I’ll accept.”

A blond haired blue eyed boy of about 16 strutted out to the hanger entrance.

“Hi there. The name is Maximilian Evans and I want to thank you for the points you’ll be giving me,” he stated smartly.

“Well I wouldn’t count on those points before you earn them.”

“I think the paper said that we have to inform our heads of house that we want to duel, so I better do that. French! Hey, French!”

“That’s Professor French to you Evans,” yelled the Cardinal Head of House.

“Yeah, whatever. Professor French, I want to duel this Hawk here.”

“Alright, Hey Crowe! One of my boys wants to duel one of yours.”

“Which one? Guin?”

Professor French squinched up his eyes and looked in the direction of the Cardinal hanger. “Yeah I think so.”

“Alright, it’s fine with me,” Crowe yells back.

Maximilian looks over at Guin, “Well I guess that it’s ok then. Lets say we start in a half hour then.”

Genevieve squints her eyes at him, “Well I guess I’ll see you in a half hour Mr. Evans.” she stated as she turned and walked back to her hanger. As she walks in she sees that Corneilius already has part of his right wings canvas torn off. “Neil, can you give my plane a quick one over to make sure that it’s all in good working order. I have a duel with a Cardinal in 30 mins.”

“Sure I think I can manage that.”

Thirty minutes later, the southwest air field was full of excitement. It was the first duel of the season. Everyone was out on the field sitting in the grandstands that were apparently setup during the last event earlier in the day. It seemed like the whole school was out on the field. There was a myriad of different people that were not students on the field also. From the looks of it every single person who was at the academy that was not on duty was there to watch the duel.

Lined up across from each other on opposite runways were the opponents. The planes were gleaming with their new paint as each of the pilots were giving them a preflight checkup. Over the loud speaker set up on the field, a voice came pouring out.

“The duel will commence shortly and it will follow all normal duel protocols are in place. First one to score three hits on their opponent wins. Competitors get ready and let the duel begin”

The engines roared as the two planes started to take off. Moving quickly down their runways the biplanes made a rapid assent. Both of the planes were in seemingly equal positioning as the pilots were both vying for position.

The loud speaker kept a running commentary for those on the ground during the match. Miko took a look over to the hanger and saw the hanger guards were both standing close together at one door with something sitting on a chair between them.

She nudged Cornelius with and elbow and pointed over towards the hanger. “I think the commentary is going over the radio too, so that the people who are working can hear what is going on too.”

“It seems that these two are pretty evenly matched here, neither one is able to get in better position. Wait, wait. It seems that Cristol has managed to get around and behind Evans. It looks that he just can not get away from her,” was bellowing out across the field. Hearing this, both of the distracted Hawks snapped their attention back to the duel in the sky.

Up in the cockpit, Guin was having a hard time keeping on the tail of Maximilian. “This guy has every reason to be cocky. He’s pretty good.” She was having a hard time stay on his tail, yet alone managing to line up a shot. A quick application of rudder and a quick tug of the control stick kept her pinned tight behind him. “Ok, there we go. I got his number now.” she says to herself and she pulls the trigger and fires a burst at Evans. He puts his plane into a sharp left dive at the last second and dodges the chalk rounds from Guinevive’s machine guns.

“A shot taken by Cristol and a narrow escape by Evans, ladies and gentlemen. This is not going to be an easy victory for either party here today folks.”

Down on the ground the excitement of the crowd was rising. The planes in the air were twisting and turning about at speeds that made many of the students wonder how they were going this fast. Were not all the students given the same airframe and engine to start out with? How were these two able to coax that much performance out of their planes in such a short time.

“It seems that Cristol is locked right on his tail, but he is giving her a hard time trying to get a good shot off on him.”

“This is unbelievably frustrating.” she thought to herself as she kept putting the plane through its paces just to keep tucked behind him. “Come on V think, there has to be a pattern here, no one is completely unpredictable. Watch his moves and stick with him.” She grabs the flight stick with a new determination and dials down the throttle a bit to follow him through a low speed right roll.

“There, there it is. Three times to the right, a left, then a right, then three left, one right, one left and then three right again. Ha ha! This time I have you.” This time having a pretty good guess of where he would be, Guinevive throws her plane sharply to the right in anticipation of Evans next move to evade her. With her finger poised on the trigger, she sees him put his plane into a right bank, then seem to realize that he had been predicted and quickly try and pull his plane back to the left, but it was too late. She had pulled the trigger and had raked his tail end with several splotches of chalk the color of Hawk House, a rich and noble brown.

There was a cheer from down on the ground, and not all of it had come from Hawk house. Swallow and Raven also seemed to be cheering and enjoying the show and the Eagle students who were there watching were also applauding the shot.

“Oh my folks, we have our first hit in the duel! Cristol has just put a few solid shots across the tail of Evans plane. Remember though that it is the first to score three hits so this duel is far from over. It seems that Cristol has lost Evans after that gutsy maneuver and he is now closing in on her tail. Guess it’s time that Guinevive learns how the other side lives.”

“Agg,” Guin thinks to herself. “I took too long after the shot and let him get on my tail. Now this game of cat and mouse is reversed and I don’t know how good he is or how long I can hold out. Got to see if I can shake him though and be quick about it.”

Throwing her plane into a sharp dive towards the ground, making sure to twist and turn the whole way down. She pulls her plane up at the last second and then barrel rolls to the right and takes a quick glance behind her. Evans was still there behind her, she didn’t shake him but she had defiantly gained ground. Just need to get a way to get him to commit defiantly to one side so I can get away. He seemed cocky enough, lets show him a pattern and get him to act on it.

After four more turns having alternated each one, Guin got a feeling that Evans was ready to act now. She wasn’t sure how she knew, but she could tell that he was going to act on her next bank. “Well, she said to herself. I hope that I can pull off the move that Professor Mass showed me the other day.” Following the pattern she had laid out for Maximilian and banked the plane to the left. Feeling his guns on her and ready to fire, she then threw the planes aileron and rudder harshly in the other direction and this put the plane into a nice tight spiral down and away from the spray of bullets that Evans had triggered.

The voice from the loudspeaker seemed to be quivering with excitement. “Wow, the Mediterranean Snap! That is a manuver we have not seen in quite a while."

Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. SexBot wrote:
Mark! Assign me to work on my damn Ciel journal this weekend before I forget everything.

Umm...work on your damn Ciel journal?
Silverhand
Baby Daddy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I should be charged with manslaughter since I have inadvertiantly killed this thread. Sad

Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, you're fine...I just don't have much spare time for updates with this being opening week.

I can't say my internal grammar nazi wasn't getting twitchy, but the story was cool. I/we should revive the super-short-fiction thread.
Silverhand
Baby Daddy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol that is why this needs to be a group project. I need a grammer nazi so that it all sounds better. Also need someone who knows more plane terminology. I've been wasting less free time between classes when i'm bored and been working on it slowly. I dont know if i want to take it more from the point of view of just guin or do a more encompassing view of things. I am kinda using the Rogue Squadron books for an idea of a direction that should work for it. Hope opening week goes well, i cant wait to see it.

Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's looking pretty good so far. What we should do is send the story over to John for technical revisions and then over to me for grammar/literary polish. We'd probably end up with something pretty good.
Raptor
Sprints McGee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still need to get a chance to read the whole thing...... Rolling Eyes
Bulkoth
Whitest Forumer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sigh* I should write some... not motivated enough...
Silverhand
Baby Daddy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, Jeremy and Joe if you have any problems with what I did to your characters let me know, if you want to put in additional input to what they should do, say or act, let me know.

Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taylor Durden wrote:
put in additional input

Hehe.

Look, it's 7 in the bloody morning, you're not getting any better than that.
Bulkoth
Whitest Forumer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it humorous Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    lain.the-wired.com Forum Index -> Ciel Infini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: