Random L5R Questions/Answers/ect.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    lain.the-wired.com Forum Index -> Legend of the Five Rings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man...I can't believe this has gone on this long... Laughing Laughing Laughing
Jacob
HATES FIREWORKS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They weren't holding their action, they weren't in COMBAT now were they? No, they just had arrows notched and bows drawn pointed at you. You have to spend the first round getting CLOSE to them, not that you could hit them from the GROUND. So they would have spent a round shooting and you would have spent several rounds running/climbing. They weren't holding their actions, they just had the drop on you.

In an Iajutsu duel or a duel of any kind you are in combat from the beginning of the duel because the game mechanics begin rolling immideately. From the second combat actions start you are IN combat.

Excellent example really of the point you're trying to make. Rolling Eyes

Also Kakita is Driven. Yeah remember that disadvantage you took to eke out a few more creation points? If he's driven to duel and be the very best in all of Rokugan it makes perfect sense that he would hesitate or not perform to the best of his ability, even for a friend. The drive wouldn't take over, just like an expert driver's instincts and own personal drive wouldn't have taken over in turn 13 of the USGP if the drivers were told to "take it easy". Your charachter is an expertly trained warrior, and to do what you're saying in a public duel which would be in front of hundreds of people a chance to prove your skill which you've spent years honing is simply ridiculous. If you weren't Driven, as Mark isn't perhaps then it would be up for debate, but as you are, I see no reasonable situation in which you character would perform less than flawlessly in a duel, because if he did it would bring shame both on HIM and his opponent, as well as showing EXTREME disrespect to everyone present.

Bulkoth
Whitest Forumer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Driven is not Driven to duel any one it is driven with a specific goal in mind and this duel would neither further nor hinder that goal. Compulsion also does not apply because that only makes me more likely to challenge someone or accept should i be challenged. I did not take those flaws to "eek out a few more creation points" I took them to help develope the character and I have roleplayed them at every possible oppurtunity where it was appropriate neither is involved in this situation should it occur.

As per the Archers I was not attempting to get to the archers to battle them, I was attempting to take an entirely seperate action and you would not even allow initiative to be rolled regardless of how high you set their bonuses in an open topped rolling system there is always a chance that I could have beaten it and taken my action but you specifically said that they had reserved their action.
Jacob
HATES FIREWORKS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not say that they had reserved their action, whatever you may claim. Also it may be interesting to not that they wouldn't have NEEDED to roll for the first action, at LEAST one of the archers had the school technique that always allows them to go first in the first round of combat, so initiative wasn't necessary. Ronin school techniques are fun ^_^.

Also as per the "Driven" disadvantage, you took it for a specific purpouse yes but it still has certain stock charachteristics which I will now define for you: "A charachter who is Driven has a single goal that he will sacrifice anything to achieve, He will turn his back on his friends and family, and even sacrifice his honor to achieve that goal". You're driven to be the best swordsman ever, or at least that's what you told me at creation, for reasons that here will be left undiscussed. In Rokugan, which is the game world, the best swordsman gives no quarter in a FORMAL DUEL nor does he hesitate, to do so would be to violate the driven disadvantage by not using 100% of your skill in accomplishing a goal, which contrary to your belief would have a huge impact on your goal. If you hesitate and because of that hesitation die then you can't very well be the best swordsman ever now can you?

Bulkoth
Whitest Forumer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll drop the archer thing but I still think its crap unless you had those characters made up already because I remember the words reserved action.

As per the goal, I wasnt aware that every single duel had a bearing on the life of my character past the fact of whether he lives another day. However I need to talk to you about how you'd like me to proceed seeing as how he has hit a plateau in his swordsmanship and I'd like some help finding a way that Kakita can stay with the party and still further his goal because right now spending a few months in a Dojo under his sensei is probably whats on Kakita's troubled mind since he has seen little improvement in his technique over the past couple weeks.

Jacob
HATES FIREWORKS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing with Alan. I say go for it at this point. I'm going to try to do singles sessions with Alan cause he wants to go back home to study for awhile and look for his brother some more.

Oh and for future reference for everyone: Any Duel that requires you to ask your Daimyo to request a duel with your opponent's Daimyo and needs them both to accept, choose a time and a place, and have imperial witnesses, will have a large impact on your life even if and especially if you win.

Bulkoth
Whitest Forumer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow didnt know people were going through that much trouble to fight, Mark and I were laughing at work the other day about how this will probably never come to a duel anyway but who knows (besides jacob).
Bulkoth
Whitest Forumer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's gonna be an issue keeping everyone in the same time frame but I'm up for trying it out.
Jacob
HATES FIREWORKS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If everyone goes back at the same time there's no issue, but Alan wanted to go back right then and that was his choice. It'd be easy to run an ep with everyone seperated, then we can compress time but if you want to go back seperately that's when the issue arises.

Last edited by Jacob on Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bulkoth
Whitest Forumer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on doing it after this assignment is complete assuming I dont get another letter saying to go here and do this.
Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably go back after the festival is finished.
Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Admins smile upon the land, and peaceful discussion is returned*
Bulkoth
Whitest Forumer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we ever play another L5R game I call using one of these.

Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulkoth wrote:
If we ever play another L5R game I call using one of these.
Jacob
HATES FIREWORKS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop with the off-topic ranting on the sticky damnit!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    lain.the-wired.com Forum Index -> Legend of the Five Rings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: