Random L5R Questions/Answers/ect.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    lain.the-wired.com Forum Index -> Legend of the Five Rings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what if I am wracked by the combined sense of duty and shame that comes with having to kill a comrade?
Bulkoth
Whitest Forumer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*high five*
Jacob
HATES FIREWORKS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark's reason is actually not that bad if he actually LIKED your charachter in game JW, but your reason dosn't make any damn sense. The speed of your strikes and the perception to find and exploit weaknesses and holes in defense is part of skill with the sword, hell it's the focus of your whole damn sword school, so holding your initiative wouldn't aid your testing of your true skill. Indeed it would be the exact opposite, giving him an unfair advantage and not using 100 percent of your skill and tactics to fight him.
Bulkoth
Whitest Forumer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking exactly about finding the correct spot to strike so that the one who truely is correct would be decided by the sword and not the speed.
Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He wants to test the deftness of his strike and the will of his soul to ignore pain versus my prowess in the same. This requires that we strike simultaneously.
Jacob
HATES FIREWORKS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your entire school is finding the exact correct spot to strike and the sword guides your hand more swiftly as a result of your training. "Letting the sword decide" is an unacceptable answer. The sword is just a piece of metal, it is the samurai's hand that brings it to life and your training is apart of that, to do anything less would be to dishonor yourself and the person you're dueling against.

Testing the deftness of his strike does NOT require that you strike simultaneously and a pain-endurance competition betrays the heart of swordsmanship in Rokugan. It's the skill, not the pain tolerance, that is revered, even if you tak "strength of the soul" onto it.

Bulkoth
Whitest Forumer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine if you dont wanna except my answer you can screw off, I'll just get distracted by a freaking blade of grass and hesitate, You are NOT going to railroad me if theres something I want to do.
Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just like the honor of not flinching when you commit seppuku. If you can willfully allow yourself to be pierced by a rival's sword, and simply shrug it off, then your soul will be galvanized against further attack. Even if you die, your karma will pass on with strength and honor.

We're so doing it.
Jacob
HATES FIREWORKS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See Joe White, if you can provide a satisfactory, in-game answer to a question then I'll let you do whatever you want! Also we need to have a discussion about the term "GM's Discretion" it means that I look at a situation and decide if what you want to do is in line with what your charachter would do, how he's been behaving up to this point, if it's in line with the game world and ect. and give you a yes or no answer. It's basically saving your charachter from bad roleplaying on your part. And you do realize if you don't fail your perception check you can't get distracted by the blade of grass ; ).
Bulkoth
Whitest Forumer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its cinematic and cool, as apposed to "you won initiative so you kill the other person".
Jacob
HATES FIREWORKS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why don't you let *me* decide how the rules run and when it's time to change "these are the rules" with "yeah sure it'd be cinematic and cool" that is my job after all.
Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I believe that that is John's job. Wink
Bulkoth
Whitest Forumer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No its not your job, your job is to set our characters into situations and let us decide how we react and the joy that everyone gets from it is when it is both cinematic and inspiring.
Jacob
HATES FIREWORKS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe White a Game Master or Dungeon Master's job IS to create scenarios and situations then place charachters in them to see how they react. Very good! Of course, you have failed to mention that it is ALSO the Game Master's duty to impose and interpret rules to govern that gameplay. It is within those restrictions that the charachter must act, therefore if you want to do something you must roll a certain number of dice and hope for a result either higher or lower than that imposed by the Game Master. This adds a random element to the game as well as creating a framework where charachters can progress in skills and abilitys, and insure that combat works the way it should.

In short, it is not your job to tell me that you can hold your action, it is my job to tell YOU whether or not you can hold it or whether or not you hesitate. If you WISH to hesitate I will impose a number of checks to see if you SUCEED in your hesitation to strike simultaneously, or if you fail and lose your action completely, or if you can't betray years and years of training that have been hammered into your charachters skull.

I'm not railroading anyone I'm just telling you how combat works, and you cannot hold your action in L5R. That's just not the way it works. Too Bad. But I am the GM so if you give me a good enough reason I may alter the system, as it is my perogative, to create a more exciting and cinematic experience. None of your reasons thus far have been adequate or, to be frank, eloquent, however Mark has provided several excellent points for delaying an action which I was more convinced by. He would still have to make the checks but at least he is speaking of behaving in a way consistent with his gameplay up to this point.

Bulkoth
Whitest Forumer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you cannot hold your action in L5R.

I'll remember that next time you tell me theres a village full of archers who have there bows notched already and you tell me that they have the jump on me.

As for the reasoning I dont believe youve seen enough of Kakita to decide whats in his character, He hasnt opened up to any one thus far but if there was any one who he would hesitate over it would be Mark and Jeremy's characters as they helped to clear our name at winter court.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    lain.the-wired.com Forum Index -> Legend of the Five Rings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: