E46 Lasik

Post new topic   Reply to topic    lain.the-wired.com Forum Index -> Mad Man Mechanics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vin Sanity
Mad Mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: E46 Lasik Reply with quote

My headlights are terrible.
I mean, they turn on and I am left wondering if they turned on at all.

So anyways after some quick research, I have found that my e46, while equipped with the super expensive factory HIDs, has the worst HID projector headlights ever. The pre-LCI e46s have lights manufactured by AL/Bosch, and they are good. The first batch of LCI sedans have lights manufactured by ZKW. They are hot garbage. Apparently after not very long, they burn the reflectors to the point in which little to no light gets reflected. End result? I am using my fog lights right now because after 12 years of use, granted intermittent use thanks to exploding propulsion parts, my lights might as well not be on.

Options?

Buy new factory HID lights and wait for them to burn out. Again. ~$2500
Buy Depo or similar replacement lights and modify my harness, have questionable angel eyes, and be overall disappointed, but have HIDs. ~$500
Switch to factory halogen lights. ~$400.
Buy a set of pre-LCI HIDs on ebay and Frankenstein the guts into my headlight frames. Then install the ZKW lenses because they have a better cutoff than the Bosch lights. Then buy new headlight covers as mine are fogged and pitted trash. ~$300

I think you all know where this is going. Stay tuned.

Raptor
Sprints McGee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had these half installed in the S4 for longer than I care to admit, but it seems quite good for the price. One bi-xeon is better than none, right?

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/components/projectors/bi-xenon-morimoto-mini-h1-7-0-projectors.html

I had to make an adapter plate (out of lexan) to convert from the stock mounting pattern to the new projectors, but I was able to do all the work without having to take the lens off the housing.

Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've definitely seen that happen to E46 reflectors. If it makes you feel any better, E39 headlights are also shamefully bad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    lain.the-wired.com Forum Index -> Mad Man Mechanics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: