The Adventures of Rollie
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    lain.the-wired.com Forum Index -> Generale Discussington
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: The Adventures of Rollie Reply with quote

I will make a food item in the Rollie (and post results/photos) incorporating the first three ingredients posted here. One ingredient per person, and each one must come from a different user. Also, maybe be kind and try not to come up with a combination that's completely gross. Go!
Harrypeaches
Boar-Gored Non-Sword Ward, Ignored

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ham
Dr. SexBot
Doctorb

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potato
Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my first test run a few hours ago. Started with one egg, then jammed a few pieces of hot pepper cheese into the thing, then added another egg.

In very little time, it was slightly bubbling out of the top. I probably overfilled it.

I'd love to have some action shots for this one, but it happened pretty fast. The eggs lurched upward out of the tube before I could even grab my phone, punishing me for my hubris in omitting the wooden stick. I believe the break occurred somewhere in the cheese layer.

(I probably could have caught it on a plate, but I wanted to let the process happen more organically.)

After that, I just let the thing sit and cook for several more minutes (probably too long), not bothering to time it. This is what the end product looked like...kind of like a strange mushroom of egg and cheese.

I could swear I tasted a little hint of plastic in the first bite, but further taste testing showed no additional strange flavors -- only slightly overcooked egg.

A close-up of the piece that got away:

So far, we have ham and potato, which I think will work well. Anybody have a third ingredient?
Bulkoth
Whitest Forumer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shitake
Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got no shitakes sitting around. Will sub in regular mushrooms. Stand by for results.
Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's jump right in -- took a few chunks of leftover JW ham and cut them into Rollie-size bits, then did the same with some of the pierogi casserole (for potato).

The mushrooms were kind of dense and dry, so I gave them a couple of minutes in a pan first.

Then I mashed everything together and added a splash of olive oil just to make it a bit more liquidy.

...and forced the mixture down into the rollie with the little ramrod thing they give you.

Adding the extra oil might have been a mistake, since a good amount of oil rose to the top during the cooking process.

I gave it about 12 minutes in the Rollie, but it never began to rise, so I just poured off the excess oil and extracted it. Unlike the eggs, it didn't come out in tube form.

Flavor-wise, it was fine. A little crispy on the edges, but otherwise just kind of like a hot version of what went in there.

So far, the Rollie is kind of like Snakes on a Plane -- nothing special, but also not terrible enough to be hilarious. Just kind of a teflon heating tube that you can jam food into. ::shrug::
Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a bit of the potato/ham/mushroom mixture left over, I decided to beat an egg into it and give it another go.

Within two minutes of entering the machine, it surged triumphantly upward, and I was barely able to avoid a repeat of last night by adding one of the skewers.

Part of it couldn't be easily coaxed back into the Rollie, so I just put it on a plate. The egg was definitely undercooked, but it wasn't altogether terrible.

Then, I managed to ream enough of a hole through the remaining foodlog to allow the air pocket to escape, and it dropped back down into the Rollie.

Meanwhile, I pan-fried the rest of what had already escaped, which really underscores the Rollie's convenience.

Several minutes later, the food tube reemerged, showing a gradient from barely cooked to nicely browned.

What say we try a dessert next? I'm thinking about jamming some cheesecake into there and seeing what happens. Other ingredients?
Viscount
GOLDEN STRONG!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is too funny!

Some kind of berry perhaps? Or maybe leftover mincemeat filling?

Dr. SexBot
Doctorb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mint
Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mintberry cheesetube ahoy!
Jacob
HATES FIREWORKS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the Mintberry Cheesetube?
Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I broke the Rollie out to do the mintberry cheesecake. About a minute after plugging it in, I noticed that it still smelled like it was full of ham, despite being thoroughly cleaned last time. Awesome!

Anyway, forward into the disgusting future!

Our participants:

I mashed one piece of cheesecake up with some of the raspberry jam...

Then used a cheese grater to turn the mint into powder.

And mixed it into the other slice of cheesecake. It was a little on the dry side, as you can see, so I added a little heavy cream.

And into the tube it went; first mint, then berry.

And I added the traditional stick.

I set a timer for eight minutes, for no particular reason. After about six, the monster began to rise from its lair.

Then it sort of split, and quit rising.

I gave it another five minutes, totaling a lucky thirteen, but nothing else happened, so I dumped it out onto a plate. The berry half fell apart, but the mint stayed together, looking super appetizing.

Both halves tasted about like what you'd expect. That is to say, worse than the sum of their parts. Texture was similar to a berry cobbler that one might get as part of a 75-cent TV dinner.

As is tradition, I saved half of it and mixed it with an egg. The Rollie is an Eggmaster, after all.

I set the timer for eight minutes again, but quickly learned that I needn't have. In just over a minute, it began to rise like Icarus ascending to the heavens. Prepare for Action Shots:

Like previous Rollie Food Items, it presented a gradient from Cooked to Not Cooked At All.

It tasted vaguely like tamago, spiced with the added knowledge that no self-respecting sushi chef would spend more than ten seconds in a room with it.

The other end went in the trash. I guess I could have tamped it back into the Rollie, but my spirit was pretty broken by this point.

When I started to clean the Rollie, this little wad of cooked cheesecake-egg came out. I guess the air bubble that birthed the final tube must have formed directly above it.

Okay, so here's the deal: The cleaning sponge rod thing that came with the Rollie is starting to tear, so I'm probably not going to get more than one more shot at this. I'm not putting anything rare or expensive in there, but otherwise, anything goes. No limit on number of ingredients -- one final hurrah before I tear off the plastic casing and repurpose the heating element for something other than gross, sad cooking.
Jacob
HATES FIREWORKS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saffron, Gold, and Truffles!
Bulkoth
Whitest Forumer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rice, sugar, vanilla
Post new topic   Reply to topic    lain.the-wired.com Forum Index -> Generale Discussington All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: