Full vanos rebuild.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    lain.the-wired.com Forum Index -> Mad Man Mechanics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vin Sanity
Mad Mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Full vanos rebuild. Reply with quote

So it's been ~800 miles since my engine swap o rama. Since then, I began hearing an intermittent popping at idle, but no other signs of failure. The intermittent became somewhat regular, and now it is and unwavering cry of failure every time the engine idles. The popping doesn't follow a pattern, and putting a bar up to various parts of the engine and up to my ear results in hearing nothing until I listen to the vanos area of the head, at which point it becomes a banging. I assume I have a vanos failure at this point, but I hope it isn't more than that. The car has been parked and I've been running the E93 while I got money and parts together, and have fully rebuilt the vanos off of my blown engine. Because I know that was a functioning unit right up until the crank case explosion. So I have gone with Beisan Systems bearing spacers and seals. Hopefully I can find a few hours this week to dig into the E46 so I can find out how screwed I am. An additional note, the machine screws that are hidden behind the caps in front that go into the cam shafts are LEFT HAND THREAD. Just in case anyone else has to tackle this project and doesn't want to ruin perfectly good cams...
Vin Sanity
Mad Mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh.
So new vanos went in without any fuss. Started the car up and it is running horribly. Two new codes are on the computer too. P0011 and p0014, intake and exhaust timing too advanced. I'm not pleased, and I did not change anything in the timing. The only thing I can think of is since I used the solenoids from the blown engine, that debris has done damage to them, so I'm going to try swapping those out. To top it all off, the noise I'm trying to eliminate is still present and mocking me. If I can get it running right I'll test the maf.. then I have no idea.

Raptor
Sprints McGee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you should get those codes for a vanos solenoid failure. You just replaced the seals right? Maybe it's just a bad cps (or one that you didn't plug back in)?
Vin Sanity
Mad Mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So for months my car has been a lawn ornament, and I have grown tired of not driving it. I have been retracing my steps in my head for a while now, and no, I couldn't have been so stupid as to put the plungers in my Vanos solenoids backwards. Wrong. Car runs fine. Original noise that has been plaguing my existence is still there, but I'm going to ignore it until it manifests into something I can trace. Still have the codes in my ECU active for the timing as well, but no I'll effects. Now to sort out every other issue on this pig.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    lain.the-wired.com Forum Index -> Mad Man Mechanics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: