F1 2014 Hub
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    lain.the-wired.com Forum Index -> Mad Man Mechanics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. SexBot
Doctorb

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: F1 2014 Hub Reply with quote

I want people to watch F1 so I can talk about it. I am posting this topic here so I can keep everyone informed on upcoming race dates and F1 news that I find interesting.

We can also use it as a place to discuss the goings-on of the 2014 season.
Dr. SexBot
Doctorb

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first race of the season is March 16th so it's just over 1 month away. This is a year of change. They will be going from V8 engines to turbocharged V6 engines. There are also more energy recovery systems and some changes to the Aerodynamic rules.

Sebastian Vettel has dominated for the last 4 years and become the youngest 4 time consecutive title winner. The only man who seems to have been able to challenge him has been Fernando Alonso. In 2010 and 2012 he finished within 4 and 3 points respectively. Nobody could touch Vettel this year though as he finished 150 points clear of Alonso.

The shake-up makes things interesting. There are 3 engine suppliers: Mercedes, Ferrari, and Renault. All of the teams use one of these engine suppliers. Mercedes and Ferrari could be in a strong position this year. They both produce the engine and the chassis for their 2014 car. This gives them certain advantages because they can build their car around the engine.

Reliability will also be a concern. There are a ton of new electronics on the 2014 cars. There may be some surprises this year depending on what teams can keep their car on track and what supplier did the best job on the 2014 engine.

Early indicators are that reliability may wind up effecting some teams. Red Bull Racing, the team that Sebastian Vettel won his 4 titles with, was only able to complete around 21 laps in the first pre-season test. Mercedes in comparison, completed 309.
Dr. SexBot
Doctorb

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a Sky Sports article that explains the rule changes for the year pretty well.

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/22058/9077826/gearing-up-for-2014-the-rule-changes-uncovered-and-explained-part-one
Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cars.aol.co.uk/2014/03/18/ecclestone-promises-to-bring-the-noise-back-to-f1/

Lots of stupid getting tossed around already. Breach of contract because the cars don't sound right? So dumb.
Dr. SexBot
Doctorb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck that. The new power units are technical masterpieces. I don't think that they should be thrown away because they aren't loud. That's so stupid. I think the cars sound fine. It's just different. The only way of making them sound better without scrapping the engines is going to be artificial anyway. Maybe they can provide headphones that play engine noises at an ear-damaging level for people that need to hear louder noises to have a good time.
Dr. SexBot
Doctorb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Malaysian Grand Prix is the next on the calendar. The race weekend begins on March 28th with the first practice with the race happening on March 30th.

The race will air twice on NBC Sports on March 30th. The live showing will be at 3:30 AM and there will be a re-air at 2:30 PM.

Here's some info about the track and times:

http://www.formula1.com/races/in_detail/malaysia_915/

I'll post more when it gets nearer to race day.
Dr. SexBot
Doctorb

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a reminder that the race is tomorrow. It will air live at 3:30 AM. For those of you without DVR that are unwilling to stay up crazy-late, there will be a re-air at 2:30 PM. The race will be broadcast on NBC Sports Network.

Qualifying spoilers ahead!

There were crazy amounts of rain during qualifying. This usually serves to level the field a bit, but Mercedes remained dominant. Hamilton ended up on pole and Rosberg wound up qualifying 3rd. An inspired lap by Vettel saw him split the two Mercedes in 2nd.

Alonso got through Q2 after an amazing repair from his crew. He collided with Kyvat early in Q2 and snapped a piece of his suspension. A red flag came out and he managed to limp the car back to the pits. The crew was able to replace the broken piece, but did not have time to align anything so Alonso went back out and managed to get through to Q2 in a car that was not balanced properly in wet conditions. During the lull between the sessions, they must have gotten everything re-aligned, because he ended up qualifying 4th. The best a Ferrari has qualified in almost a year.

Further back, Ricciardo qualified 5th to continue his impressive showing so far this year in a car that many people thought would struggle for the first part of the season. Kimi, after outpacing Alonso for much of the weekend, struggled slightly with setup and the full wet tires. He ended up in 6th. Hulkenburg qualified 7th in the Force India, completely outclassing his teammate who qualified a shameful 14th. Surprisingly, the Mclarens could only manage 8th and 10th after finishing 3rd and 4th on track at Austrailia. Magnussen once again going faster than his veteran teammate Button. Vergne in the Toro Rosso qualified 9th.
Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone can feel free to contradict me since I had a lot of trouble keeping awake through the actual race, but I thought the Williams team orders battle at the end might have been the most exciting part.

I can't honestly say I hate Hamilton as much as I used to, but he's still really fun to hate. Stupid Hamilton...
Dr. SexBot
Doctorb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a heads up - Bahrain is this weekend. Qualifying will be on tomorrow at 12:30 in the afternoon on NBC Sports and the race will air live at 10:30 AM with a re-air at 2:30 PM again on NBC Sports.
Buck Futter
00:JERK

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. SexBot
Doctorb

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shanghai Grand Prix is tomorrow. Sorry for short notice. Live at 2:30AM. Re-air at 2:30 PM.
Dr. SexBot
Doctorb

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool video showing all the functions of an F1 steering wheel.

http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/2014/0/1180.html

Also, there is a race this Sunday, the 11th. I'll post more details soon.
Dr. SexBot
Doctorb

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Grand Prix tomorrow. NBC (not NBC Sports for this one) 2pm, so it's not super early. Many of you guys will be in Pittsburgh tomorrow, so set those DVRs.
Dr. SexBot
Doctorb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Canadian Grand Prix was really good. Maybe the most exciting race of the year. You should all definitely watch it. If you forgot to DVR it, watch it on NBC Live Extra.
Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just caught the end of qualifying for Austria...pretty excited for the race now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    lain.the-wired.com Forum Index -> Mad Man Mechanics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: