Armello

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jacob
HATES FIREWORKS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap this game looks good. "Electronic boardgame" with tons of secret information! Trailers are for the gameworld, website is here

Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gave the game its own thread. Seemed worth it.

It's pretty fun so far. I got through one single player game (took about 1-1.5 hours, I want to say), but I managed a pretty solid political victory. Observations:

-The prologue/tutorial does a nice job of introducing the world, but the plot and world-building kind of end right there? After all of that, I was hoping for more of a story-campaign experience from single player, but it's apparently just the regular game against AI bots.

-Art/music/sound/animation/etc. is excellent. The biggest stylistic problem I have is that the dice you roll in combat seem to flop around in a very non-dice-like manner. Seriously, that's my biggest gripe. It's a gorgeous game.

-The UI is just about as nice as the art. Tooltips are exactly where you'd want/expect them to be, they have nice little artist credit/signature popups when you hover over your cards...just a ton of attention to detail and good decision-making in the UI design.

-The multiplayer is adversarial, but I don't get the impression that you spend every moment of your time trying to fight/screw the other players. Everyone gets individual quests, and there are four different ways to win. Even when another player kills you, it's not a gigantic setback, which is nice.

-The lack of a save feature is probably the only technical flaw I've seen so far, and the devs say they're working on it.

So, yeah, pretty good overall. I'd like to see them introduce more...I dunno...game modes? It seems like there's really only one fundamental base game, but the engine/rules could support a LOT more cool stuff. The website says there's a winter mode, which I haven't tried, so that might offer a pretty different experience.

At $20 a person, it's probably a wee bit steep for what's essentially just a board game (four-packs are $60). That being said, I wouldn't feel too bad paying that for it, considering they've released a VERY polished product (how often can you say that about video games lately?).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    lain.the-wired.com Forum Index -> Gaming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: