Tool reviews...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    lain.the-wired.com Forum Index -> Mad Man Mechanics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vin Sanity
Mad Mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was on the road, it was hands down the best decision I made. Even in the shop I prefer using it over air most times. It is a big tool. It will be ungainly for certain tight spots, and it is heavy, but not heavier than an equal duty 1/2 or 3/4 really. Investing in plenty of impact extensions and universals definitely helps. I wish I was closer to you guys so you could give it a shot. But I know they usually carry them (or at least the detent pin one) at Home Depot so you can get your hands on one and see what you think. There are smaller 1/2 guns in Dewalt's range, but they will lack the power of the 899. But the stubby one would be a nice "sidearm" for lack of a better term, for if space is limited. Right now my only stubby 1/2 impact is an air Flexzilla brand one that I got a screaming deal on.
Vin Sanity
Mad Mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. My TS80 that's been in purgatory actually showed up today, so [edit: the battery bank is ] on the charger. It's as nice as I expected it to be, so hopefully it's as impressive as it looks and feels.
Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stabby tip or chisel?
Vin Sanity
Mad Mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B02 stabby tip. I'll get more use of it than the D25. I installed some custom firmware so it can run off my samsung phone chargers and my laptop. It's a pretty slick piece..
Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised a laptop usb port can put out enough wattage to run that thing (unless your laptop is new enough to have QC3). Have you tried it (from the laptop) yet?
Vin Sanity
Mad Mechanic

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late response: yes. I got it to come up to temp with a USB 3 laptop. But holy crackers it was slow. It works well with my Samsung Note charger though.
Now I just need to build a nice little portable power supply.

Next tool!
I'm gonna go ahead and put 2 tool sets up here. Both the same brand that im sorta a fanboy for:

[url=https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LQEV9O/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_HUTVEbTT6KWM4]
Sunex 1818, 1/4 Inch Drive Master Magnetic Socket Set, 23-Piece, SAE/Metric[/url]
I own this exact set and paid close to twice as much on a tool truck, because I needed it right then. This is a must-have. I don't understand how I never bought or fabricated something like this before. They have in multiple drives, and in deep well and swivel sockets as well. Sunex stuff is pretty well-made as well - made in Taiwan, California distributor . I have a lot of stuff from them, it's not Snap-on quality, but it's great value for the money. And I haven't managed to break anything yet.

[url=https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XW7XBE/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_69TVEbB7GV0K8]
Sunex 9914A 14 Piece Angle Head SAE Wrench Set (FULL POLISH) CRV [/url]
I bought this exact set from Amazon. My 1 1/8 wrench arrived with some chrome peeling. I shrugged and proceeded to not care as I beat the hell out of these on horribly placed hydraulic fittings. Haven't broken or spread any of these yet. Probably less useful to you guys, but sometimes having that different angle helps.[/url]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    lain.the-wired.com Forum Index -> Mad Man Mechanics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: