Sebring Trip Info

Post new topic   Reply to topic    lain.the-wired.com Forum Index -> Mad Man Mechanics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. SexBot
Doctorb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:07 am    Post subject: Sebring Trip Info Reply with quote

Here's where we can put all of our research and info for our upcoming Sebring Trip. Here's what I found so far.

Hotels linked from Sebring's site:

No rooms available at The Château Élan Hotel and Spa.

No rooms available at Holiday Inn Express at Sebring or Lake Placid.

Other Hotels:

Westgate River Ranch Resort & Rodeo - Starting at $224 per night for a 2 person room (so we'd need 2 of these) or $244 a night for a 4 person room(2 beds with extra sofa-beds available upon request) | Pros: 1) Pictures make the place look cool 2) Rodeo | Cons: 1) Low review scores on Hotels.com (thought google reviews are better) 2) 24 Miles from Sebring 3) Rodeo Smells

Peace River RV & Camping Resort, Zolfo Springs - Starting at $77 per night for a cabin. (1 double bed and 2 bunk beds) | Pros: 1) Cheap AF 2) Decent review scores | Cons: 1) 22 miles from Sebring 2) Seems like we would definitely need 2 rooms and even if we got 2 rooms 2 people would still be sleeping on a bunked bed.

RVs at www.onfreewheels.com:

Coachmen Leprechaun - Likely at or near the minimum cost for Class C RVS on the site ($245). It seems to have at least a 28 gallon grey water tank and no included generator.

Winnebago Intent - Likely at or near the minimum cost for Class A RVs on the site ($250). It seems to have at least a 40 gallon grey water tank and a 4,000-watt Cummins Onan® MicroQuiet™ gas generator.

Other models seem larger and would likely be more expensive. No prices are listed so we'd have to call for details.

Thoughts:

A quick glance at flow rates for shower heads shows about 1.5-2.5 gallons per minute. Assuming an average of 2 gallons per minute, we would have about 14 mins of shower time with the smaller one and 20 mins with the larger. This would give us each 4 showers of less than one minute (.875 mins) with the 28 gallon and 4 showers each of a little over a minute (1.25 mins) with the 40 gallon. Either way, I think we will want to utilize the communal showers if possible especially earlier in the weekend and save the water for as long as possible.

I am also a bit confused still about the power situation. I have read different places that there is not nearly enough power to power things like AC unless you have a hookup or a generator. It also doesn't seem like a given that every RV comes with a generator. We could probably rent one from an equipment rental place if we needed to, but depending on the capacity, we may need to leave the track once or twice to gas it up.

I will continue to update this post as we find more info.
Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I think about the hotel-vs-RV thing, the more I want to vote for the hotel. Having access to a private shower and quiet sleeping area does SO much to reduce stress over the trip.

On that note, have a look at this place:

https://capernaumlodge.com/rooms/family-suite/

They've got rooms for about $120-160 a night (google lists Travelocity/etc price at $117).

Pros:
-Rooms are 900-square-foot suites with two king beds in each, as well as kitchenette and 1.5 bathrooms.

-Place is reviewed at 4.1 stars on google, 4.4 on Travelocity.

-Cost seems very reasonable for the quality and size of rooms.

-It's on a picturesque lake?

Cons:
-It's just under an hour away from the track.

-Lack of Rodeo Smells.

Other:

-It's about 1:45 away from Kennedy.

EDIT: Looks like they're running out of rooms, so someone would get stuck with a sofa-bed. Still an option, but maybe one of the AirBNB places is a better choice.

Last edited by Marcus Brody on Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raptor
Sprints McGee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airbnb Stuff nearby too:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/28771281?check_in=2019-03-12&check_out=2019-03-16&s=mLEg_iM5&guests=4&adults=4

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/22336883?check_in=2019-03-12&check_out=2019-03-16&s=y1tbHCSN&guests=4&adults=4

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/27980386?check_in=2019-03-12&check_out=2019-03-16&s=y1tbHCSN

Dr. SexBot
Doctorb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind sleeping on a sofa bed if need be...as long as I don't have to sleep on Kyle's cousin's couch again.
Dr. SexBot
Doctorb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my vote will be for one of the airbnb places. They seem super cheap, closer, and probably give us the most comfortable option with beds for everyone. The "Best Lake House" one seems like a good combo of cheap and close, but I would say any would probably be fine.
Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm good with the Lake House one if everyone else is. What dates should we book for it? 12th-17th?
Dr. SexBot
Doctorb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We booked a place for the 12-17th

The lake house got reserved for a few of the days we needed so we moved on this place instead. This place is like 30 mins away from the track and was like 160 per night. It's small but there are 4 beds. If you guys hate it, we have 48 hours to cancel for free. Let us know and we can book something different in the meantime. We just didn't want to loose this one because the other places didn't even have 4 beds.
Raptor
Sprints McGee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was avoiding that since 2 of the beds are fold out couches. If two people want to sign up for that it's alright, but I don't want to sleep on them.
I find it odd that they have no pictures of the bedrooms too.

This one has four real beds for $81:
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/22336883?check_in=2019-03-12&check_out=2019-03-16&s=y1tbHCSN&guests=4&adults=4

It's a double-wide, but the interior looks nice enough.

Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That place you booked also only has two reviews, and they're both automated ones saying that the booking was canceled before the guest was supposed to stay (one of which was only two days prior).

Also the host has no verified info aside from a phone number, despite being on the site for two years. Seems pretty sketchy.

Anyway, I'm willing to take a bunk bed in the doublewide, which would give everyone else a queen.
Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lake Wales place is booked for the 12th-17th.
Dr. SexBot
Doctorb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything worked out with the other place then? Did the price wind up being the same? You said 2 bathrooms instead of 1 as well and in the same general area, correct?
Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep -- two bathrooms, still in Crooked Lake Park, and I think it was something trivial like $3-4 more per night. This is the place:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/23855651
Post new topic   Reply to topic    lain.the-wired.com Forum Index -> Mad Man Mechanics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: