World Boardgame Championships at Seven Springs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    lain.the-wired.com Forum Index -> Generale Discussington
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bulkoth
Whitest Forumer

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: World Boardgame Championships at Seven Springs Reply with quote

https://www.boardgamers.org/wbcindex.html

I think I plan to come up to my parent's place and go check this out on either the 21st or 28th. Anyone care to come with?

Appears to be $20 per day if we register before June 15th and includes access to the gaming library and tournaments etc

Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep looking at this, and I only end up confused by the premise. Are there really enough competitive board games without randomization mechanics that it makes sense to hold a World Championship? I mean, I get having a chess/go/mancala/etc competition, but how many of these are just going to be determined by dice/shuffle (or are "solved games" to the point where a normal human could always play a perfect game after some study)?
Bulkoth
Whitest Forumer

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd mostly be going for the open gaming library and demos.
That being said, there is a huge category of games called Euro games where the randomization is mostly in the setup and then who wins is typically based on skill of the players, they often have no dice at all. That being said, people will complete for anything for fun and they will have championships for all kinds of stupid games where the winner may just be determined by luck of the draw most of the time.

I read an article a while back about input and output randomization, basically the idea is that people don't likely when the outcome of their action is based on randomness (like rolling dice to pass or fail) but they tend to not mind randomness determining what options they have as long as they can strategically pick from those options knowing their outcomes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    lain.the-wired.com Forum Index -> Generale Discussington All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: