Video Games Chat Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 85, 86, 87  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viscount
GOLDEN STRONG!

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gamergate has x-wing and tie fighter for 2.50 each as well as a couple of other star wars games...

https://slickdeals.net/f/10164516-star-wars-pcdd-tie-fighter-or-x-wing-special-edition-2-50-starfighter-1-30-more

sweet sweet nostalgia

Viscount
GOLDEN STRONG!

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratch that, they're back up to 9.99

ohh well

Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I consider those every time they go on sale, but I always worry that they'll just ruin my good memories of them.
Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/rising-storm-game-of-the-year-edition

Humble Store has Rising Storm GOTY for free right now (for another 44 hours after this post). If you pick it up, make sure your redeem your key -- they expire on June 10.
Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy has a ton of pretty informative PUBS videos.
Raptor
Sprints McGee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Project Argo - Free alpha squad game that might be worth a shot.

https://store.bistudio.com/products/project-argo

Raptor
Sprints McGee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would of been a little annoyed if they saved it.

Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://store.steampowered.com/app/666140/My_Time_At_Portia

So I guess this is something like Stardew Valley meets Breath of the Wild. God damn it.

And this is like SV meets Minecraft, with multiplayer?

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/staxel

Welp. Those are the last two games I'll ever be needing.
Bulkoth
Whitest Forumer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankfully they are both still in development, so there is a 90% chance they will never finish them and we'll be safe.
Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portia has a demo on Steam.
Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insomniac theater presents: A list of unsorted impressions of My Time at Portia.

Played about 3 hours of the demo so far (and will probably play more, if that tells you anything).

TLDR: The good stuff is very good. It's maybe a bit grindey. The bad stuff is all easy to fix, and doesn't get in your way too much. Overall, it's good, and it could easily be excellent with another six months of work. In its current state, I'd probably buy it if it went on sale for $10.

-The world is beautiful. It's got the big, fun city design of a Kingdom Hearts game. Enemies have a whimsical JRPG feel to them (e.g. Panbats -- floating pandas with bat wings and giant syringes). Everything is bright and pretty without crossing the line into syrupy (for the most part...I still haven't been able to bring myself to axe-murder one of the prancing pink llamas that live in the field by my workshop).

-A lot of mechanical stuff feels unrefined, but never enough that it ruins the game. If you want to chop a tree or mine a stone, you need to center it in your view until a health-bar appears for the target. I wouldn't call this fiddly, but it IS possible to misalign yourself, even from fairly close, and you can whiff (which takes as much stamina as any other swing). When fishing, you get very little feedback on what you should be doing in the minigame (though the non-demo version seems to have a more clear fishing mechanic).

-The camera movement feels a bit spongy, and horizontal movement is faster than vertical. It's also slower indoors than out. All of these things are annoying, but I didn't find myself dwelling on them after the first few minutes of play.

-The audio needs work. What's there is good -- overworld music is pleasant, chopping/mining sounds are fine. Combat music has a too-long intro, and I was almost always done with a fight by the time the actual song kicked in (then immediately faded out). There's no sound during conversations (not even a murmur to simulate voices, or a text-scrolling noise). Likewise, there's no sound while you're fishing -- no splashing, no effect to indicate how you're doing in the minigame, etc. Fixing all of this would do a LOT for the game.

-I had no idea what to do with myself after the first three days or so...I had mined all of the tiny rocks my pickaxe would break, and I wasn't getting enough materials to improve anything or complete the first big crafting contract. After I figured out what I was missing, it was fine, but days 4-6(?) of the first 10 felt a little pointless. This wouldn't be a problem on a second playthrough.

-There's a fat pink cat wandering the road outside of your house. You can make friends with her. For some reason, her behavior pattern doesn't change when it's raining.

-Speaking of rain, villager behavior mostly (entirely?) doesn't change either, but they all wear umbrella hats. I thought that was a nice way to handle weather. There's a four-season year, and every screenshot I've seen of the later seasons looks really pretty. That being said, I think they kind of cheat by reskinning the grass and leaves white for the winter. Not a big deal.

-More on behavior: The mayor called a town meeting on day 5(?), and several townsfolk were assembled in the square, but none that I spoke to had any different dialogue during that event than their usual. One of them seemed to think she was still inside of her shop. This sort of thing is obviously an easy fix, given the game's lack of voice acting, but it speaks to the current state of things.

-Your tools don't wear out, and you don't pass out from running out of stamina. Sprinting does take stamina, but you move decently fast without it. Once out of stamina for the day, you can still use your crafting stations and buy/sell stuff, and you still move at full speed. I didn't find the stamina system overly restrictive after the first day or two (during which I blew a lot of it by sprinting, without realizing it).

-There is farming, but I've had zero opportunity to do any so far, so I guess this is at least half-Minecraft compared to Stardew Valley? Crafting certainly seems to have a far larger focus than in SV.
Harrypeaches
Boar-Gored Non-Sword Ward, Ignored

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for doing the heavy lifting. This games sounds intriguing and from what I've read of your initial impressions, it sounds like I would like it.
Dr. SexBot
Doctorb

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a Square Enix sale on Steam this weekend. If you don't already have it, I think "Life is Strange" is like $5 for the complete season and totally worth it.

I enjoyed the Deus Ex games as well.
Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few guys found the secret strat to avoid getting shot by strangers in Sea of Thieves.

Jacob
HATES FIREWORKS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I...I think that's the Dreadnoughts!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    lain.the-wired.com Forum Index -> Gaming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 85, 86, 87  Next
Page 86 of 87

Jump to: