Need help with Jaxon new gaming laptop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    lain.the-wired.com Forum Index -> Generale Discussington
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sgt_Grumbles

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Need help with Jaxon new gaming laptop Reply with quote

Jaxon got a new gaming laptop from my dad so he can play Minecraft and other computer games. He wants to be able to play with one of his friends from school. I just don't know where to start.

He has also found some not so good websites that I'd prefer he not visit. Do any of you have suggestions that I could show him to steer him towards better games?
Raptor
Sprints McGee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For places to buy games, I'd just go with Steam. It's easy, and the sales are usually good.
http://store.steampowered.com/

Humble Bundle is also good. They're always running a couple of different game bundles for around $10-15. It's usually worth it if you want one or two of the games. They have subscription bundles and a regular store too, both of which are usually have competitive pricing.
https://www.humblebundle.com/

There are a bunch of other similar sites, Bundle Stars, Good Old Games, and others that are fine too, but those two are where most of my purchases happen.

As for actual game suggestions. Other than Minecraft, what is he into right now?
I guess that it's also worth asking what the video card in the laptop is. That usually the limit for gaming performance.

Dr. SexBot
Doctorb

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Origin is OK too, but less games available. Of course you need Origin for some EA games.

Along the same line is Uplay, which is the same deal but replace EA with Ubisoft.
Viscount
GOLDEN STRONG!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And as for the "not so good" websites, as you probably have already, sit him down and have a conversation about appropriate web etiquitte. I'd imagine that there are programs that can block websites, but you'll never get them all.
Harrypeaches
Boar-Gored Non-Sword Ward, Ignored

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm with Paul on that one. You can try to censor, but there is too much out there, and too much overlaps with non-bad/neutral stuff to effective block it all. Education and respect go a long way...but what do I know. I'm don't have kids and I'm not planning on it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    lain.the-wired.com Forum Index -> Generale Discussington All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: