Oil Testing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    lain.the-wired.com Forum Index -> Mad Man Mechanics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vin Sanity
Mad Mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject: Oil Testing Reply with quote

I have decided to create a post on oil testing, as it may prove to be useful to those of us interested. So John Deere has its own test kits that we send off after we take samples from requested units, and it got me thinking, I remember that John and Mark both had gotten some mail in test kits from a company and I was wondering if you guys still do that and/or you still had the info. I'm trying to find out the scope of what oils JD can test, and how much it costs, and would like to compare it to that or any other company.

I figure it could be interesting to post results of tests here and it may help all of us if we find certain oils that perform better, or if we find problems in our projects.

Vin Sanity
Mad Mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:
So, my facility has two different companies it can send to. Both cost about 16-18 dollars. I can get the cheaper one at a cost of $13 with my discount and the more expensive one sends it to a place in Bismarck so I can get the results a little quicker but there is no discount. Not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

Looks like I'll be testing my transmission and differential oils this weekend.

Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackstone Labs is the one John used before. I've never actually gotten around to sending any of mine in. I'm pretty sure there's an oil analysis thread here somewhere if you look...

Here ya go. It's from about a decade ago and the image links are all broken.

https://lain.the-wired.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=272
Vin Sanity
Mad Mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought there was something about it before. I'll do more research into it. But I did pick up some test kits from the shop. I am going to sample the oil in Ashley's car tonight and turn it in. Something about the sound of the engine rubs me the wrong way, hopefully I'm just hearing things. And I am going to run a sample of my trans oil from the e46 this weekend. Its getting the oil changed but I want to make sure I won't have any extra surprises.
Raptor
Sprints McGee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one of my old ones. I know that I've done a few on the s4 as well, but I'll have to find them.

https://lain.the-wired.com/gallery/main.php/v/raptor/Automotive/Bmw325i/Blackstone_12k.jpeg.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    lain.the-wired.com Forum Index -> Mad Man Mechanics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: