Changes, the inevitable, and stability

Post new topic   Reply to topic    lain.the-wired.com Forum Index -> Mad Man Mechanics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vin Sanity
Mad Mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Changes, the inevitable, and stability Reply with quote

It's remarkable how much time you actually lose while working in the oil field, even with the long amounts of time off... So, with that said, I am sorry friends.

However, that's not really an issue anymore. Due to circumstances, I am no longer oil field trash. The upshot is that due to all of the experience in servicing and repairing the equipment I used daily, I managed to teach myself enough to qualify to be a real life mechanic. So I have scored a job last week as a John Deere mobile construction equipment preventative maintenance technician. The company I am working for is going to put me in training for electrical, hydraulic, and mechanical diagnostics, so I am pretty excited. It's not quite oil field money, but it's good money, and there's a lot of room to move up and learn more. So I am officially a mechanic, which is nice. I hope to post a lot more in here now. And if you guys don't hear from me often, call me up and bitch me out!

Dr. SexBot
Doctorb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well congrats on finding a new job, man. Sounds pretty sweet. It'll suck giving up those long stretches of time off, but I'm sure it will be nice giving up the long stretches of time on as well.
Vin Sanity
Mad Mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jeremy. The normal daily grind will likely be refreshing, I just won't be able to go back to Florida very often, and it will be harder to visit you guys. But the experience is going to be awesome and as long as I put the effort in, the wages will be close. I like the people I work with, I actually have Ashley's brothers old job, so all the people there seem to be excited to have me on board.. All in all hopefully it brings more adventures, and maybe some stories to post in here.
Raptor
Sprints McGee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like work you should enjoy. Congratulations.
Vin Sanity
Mad Mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John. I really did enjoy coil tubing, but it was a good time to leave. The oil market has gone to hell. I left Schlumberger to go to Trican to be a supervisor. That started off well, I was learning a lot and training to be a supervisor, but they closed coil operations in Minot, I was transferred to the worst place in the solar system known as Odessa, TX, and the whole camp down there was just awful. Plain and simple clowns. We kept getting run off or losing jobs (not my crew's fault, we were actually the top crew) but since we weren't the Texas boys we didn't get sent to any jobs. It all culminated with mass firings and layoffs, and we were still there but miserable and broke. I got sent back to Minot to get our last pieces of equipment from the shop and haul them to Texas. I drove our non divisible load fluid pump, which was listed as a 85000 lb vehicle but was, unknowingly to me, 107000 lbs. This is important information, because that's overweight no matter where you are driving. I made it to just outside Pierre, SD when I rolled into a weigh station. I knew at that exact moment I was fucked, and turns out, it's a hefty fine. $14800, to be exact. Since I was an out of state driver, and they couldn't let me travel on because they would have a hard time tracking me down to pay it, I would have to be detained until it was paid. Trican wasted time and then ultimately decided they weren't going to pay the fine, so I spent the night in the lovely Hughes county bed and breakfast, where I got to wear orange stripey pajamas, and roomed with a lovely fellow which as far as i could understand was being deported for the 3rd time. mornning came and I traded my hard boiled eggs for a piece of cake. Then I was invited to play dominoes while I waited for lunch and for my 1330 court hearing. I never played dominoes, but the fellow inmates were polite and showed me the ropes. We didn't have anything to gamble, so we played for push-ups, so we could get our exercise. I did well, I only had to do 10 push-ups. Lunch came and I knew soon I would get to talk to a judge (no clocks in jail, but the other inmates knew lunch was at 1130). I planned on pleading to the judge to impound the truck, since it was worth $700,000 and that would get Trican to man up and spring me out. Shortly after lunch, too soon to be 1330, my name was called to grab my gear and head to the main door. Turns out my supervisor hadby slept all night, and kept calling higher and higher up bosses, until they realised that it was very likely that the truck was going to get impounded, so they saved themselves the extra fees and paid my fine. I was ready to quit, but hadn't gotten any calls from the companies I had applied to yet, so I decided to at least acquire some hours and get the trucks to Texas before I quit. I now had overweight permits for every state along the way so I was no longer worried, as long as I stayed on the designated roads. While at a truck stop that day, I received a call from RDO Equipment (my current employer) and they were very eager to get me in for an interview. I scheduled an interview for Wednesday the 3rd, since I would be home for days off at that point, if I didn't quit before then. I now no longer cared what happened in the coming week, I was confident that I had my way out of this situation now. I arrived 2 days later back in Odessa, parked my truck and rode with my supervisor back to the crappy man camp we were staying at. My crew received a call at that point that we had a job that we had to take trucks out to now. It was an hour before dark. And the coil unit we had to take was overweight, over height, and over width, and we had no permits. Also, over height and over width vehicles are illegal to drive after dark even if they have permits. We all basically said fuck yourselves, and we were given the ultimatum that we would take the trucks to site or be laid off on Monday (it was Saturday). most of my crew quit that very moment. My friend Cameron, who I recruited from Florida even before I had decided to hire on at Trican, and I were the only two that hadn't quit, because we wanted to face the operations manager and field manager and call them out. We showed up on Monday, and to our surprise all of the coil management team had dispersed to various "sites" to deal with business, which really meant they were hiding. Cameron and I decided it wasn't worth it, and walked out after about an hour and got a rental car and came back to Minot with the rest of our crew. I bumped up my interview date, got an immediate call back after the interview for a panel interview the next day, and got another immediate callback to start work. My official status from Trican was fired/laid off (my supervisor fired me so I could collect unemployment if I needed to). The president of Trican US operations went to Texas and became so angry about how things were being done in that district that he had a heart attack and died. Seriously. The operations manager that demanded that we drive the truck illegally was sacked, following a large investigation, since he made one of his nephews that worked with us drive the truck, after my crew called the DOT and warned them that Trican was trying to pull some shady shit. After that, Trican completely shut down their North Dakota, Oklahoma, and all other Texas operations other than Odessa And laid off even more people. The only camps operating right now are Odessa , TX and Mill Hall, PA. over the last two weeks, 3 layoff sessions saw most of my friends at Schlumberger get pink slipped, that camp had barely enough people to short handedly run one units operation full time with no days off, or as I project, enough people to take all the trucks and parts and equipment to Rock Springs, WY and shut down the Minot shop. I'm glad I learned all I did, and got the opportunities while I was in the industry, but I'm most glad that I found something very fulfilling outside of the industry so quickly.

***end Drunkle Enzo's story time***

Raptor
Sprints McGee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been annoyed with work before, but I've never been jailed because of my employer. It sounds like you got out at a fairly opportune time.
Vin Sanity
Mad Mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mind you, the jailing was only for detainment, there were no charges and I wasn't fingerprinted, etc. But I did spend the night in real jail, and it was real boring. Yeah, things were going to hell before that, hence why I had applications out and was waiting for interviews.
Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my god Vince that story was amazing.

Edit: Also I'm pretty shocked that you can be put in actual jail without any criminal charges... makes me wonder how that would have gone with a lawyer involved.

Anyway (and I'm so sorry to say this, truly I am, I swear), I'm really glad you got locked up, because the story wouldn't be half as awesome without that part.
Vin Sanity
Mad Mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it busted into a fun little narrative didn't it? Also, these events all transpired after I received a pay cut from $24 and hour to $18 an hour.

Anyhoo, yeah having a CDL lends itself to certain pitfalls if you aren't careful. The jail thing is common, because many DOT officers and the like will want the payment for the enormous fines that you can get while driving a large truck up front.

Raptor
Sprints McGee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are still a few states that can even do fines for regular drivers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    lain.the-wired.com Forum Index -> Mad Man Mechanics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: