Military Pay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    lain.the-wired.com Forum Index -> Politics and News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silverhand
Baby Daddy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Military Pay Reply with quote

An interesting pair of articles,

The first from Cindy Williams who was appointed by Obama as an Assistant Director for National Security in the Congressional Budget Office.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A33607-2000Jan11.html

And an airman's response to the letter.

http://www.resistnet.com/forum/topics/cindy-williams-on-military-pay

Reading - Craft Sequence by Max Gladstone

Watching - Green Arrow, The Flash, Agents of Shield

Still Waiting for - Winds of Winter, The Doors of Stone

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain. It's time to toss the dice.
Jacob
HATES FIREWORKS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand the Airman's personal stance but where did Williams say that 13% was "more than they deserve". That's heavily slanted language and he uses it in the letter more than once. The only thing I can find she says using 13% is that the 13% pay gap across the whole military is constructed to make the gap seem as wide as possible, a fact which I am not informed enough to comment on. She does imply that she disagrees with "outsized" pay raises, but the amount she seems to be indicating would be the 25% pay hike in the sentence after.

That said, of course anything public like the military or education cannot compare with the private sector when it comes to tech people! Public Colleges have the same problems with technology professors as John can surely attest, they can't come close to offering what they would make working for a private company. To use public funds to try to make these fields competitive would be awesome and probably improve the quality of both the military and public education, but could ultimately bankrupt us.

The military does provide training and job experience in fields like the one the Airman mentioned as well as experience, which I believe would be widely accepted after he had served his term. If he wanted the job with the higher salary he could take it after his tenure with the military.

I really feel bad for the guy and his riducu-low salary makes me wonder how accurate Williams' figures are and how representative they really are, where the inaccuracies are etc. but this Airman doesn't address any of that so all I can say is "Man, the conditions of serving suck, but at least you can get a better job with better pay and better conditions afterward."

Bulkoth
Whitest Forumer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off I think that regardless of the private sector our troops deserve more pay than they are getting, particularly the low end ones, it would go a long long way toward improving morale and recruitment.

I think the first woman misses alot of points, not the least of which being that working extra overtime is not the same thing as being away from your family for 6 solid months.

The dude from the service on the other hand, which misquoting her is addressing what I feel to be the intent of her piece. It's not what you say but how you say it. She clearly was trying to impress on people that these raises were not deserved. Playing the pity card for every working family in america. I think alot of numbers in both pieces were misleading but if we don't stay atleast near the curve we'll find out military unable to defend us.
Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a quasi-tangential point, I want to say that the military is one of the very few functions of government that just plain shouldn't be replaced by the private sector, and thus should be more (if not directly) competitive.

To put it another way, it would be nice if everyone could get a private-school-quality education. It would be terrifying if our military got replaced entirely by Blackwater.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    lain.the-wired.com Forum Index -> Politics and News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: