Obama to continue warrantless wiretapping
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    lain.the-wired.com Forum Index -> Politics and News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bulkoth
Whitest Forumer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://digg.com/people/Obama_Negotiates_with_Pirates_PIC

Wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the Pirate Bay thread...

Marcus Brody
The Dog

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/26/AR2009062603361.html

Oh man Obama is gonna be so much better than Bush you guys just you wait. Finally we're gonna see some change!

...I may have laid that on a tad thick.
Jacob
HATES FIREWORKS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The other half of the cases, the officials said, present the greatest difficulty because these detainees cannot be prosecuted in federal court or military commissions. In many cases the evidence against them is classified, has been provided by foreign intelligence services or has been tainted by the Bush administration's use of harsh interrogation techniques.

I can understand how this can put the government into a bit of a bind, especially for the classified info or info from other country's intelligence agencies. I mean, what do you do if you have corroborating evidence from both your own country's services and another's, but can't use it because revealing the information publicly could comprimise the safety of your agents or theirs? It's a very tricky situation.

Quote:
Under one White House draft that was being discussed this month, according to administration officials, detainees would be imprisoned at a military facility on U.S. soil, but their ongoing detention would be subject to annual presidential review. U.S. citizens would not be held in the system.

Such detainees -- those at Guantanamo and those who may be captured in the future -- would also have the right to legal representation during confinement and access to some of the information that is being used to keep them behind bars. Anyone detained under this order would have a right to challenge his detention before a judge.

If they're going to go ahead and detain these people and heavily violate their civil liberties (and of course, it's the good ol' US of A so we will), this seems on surface level to be an improvement on the current indefinate detention at Guantanamo without access to any of the info. being used to charge them and without any legal representation or attempts to challenge their incarceration.

Overall, the article seems to me to indicate a small change in the way that we as a country are approaching these problems, and though it's not nearly enough to satisfy me at least, I think I may conceed that it's a step in the right direction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    lain.the-wired.com Forum Index -> Politics and News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: